The Silver Lining


For the last year, when I've bothered to post, I've teased about the game I've been working on that has taken up so much of my passion and time.  Unfortunately, it seems that game, a turn-based RPG called "Wormwood," will always be just a teaser, as the company that was creating it closed abruptly two months ago.  It was a real shock for the whole team, and if I'm entirely honest, some of us will probably never get over the disappointment of missing the opportunity to launch such a great product.  Such is life, however, and in an effort to bounce back, I want to mention the things I don't regret: namely, the people.

Once every so often in a career, especially a creative one, you hit on a team and a project so exceptional, that even in the midst of the day-to-day tasks and struggles, you can't help but recognize it and think "This is special."  The individuals at Rivet, from the executive team, to the brilliant engineers, the game designers, the producers, and of course the artists, were some of the absolute best in their field.  These are amazing people not only because of their top-notch skills, but because they're great communicators, dedicated workers, out-of-the-box thinkers, and supportive friends.  It is because of them that I loved every moment of my time at Rivet, and I look forward to running into all of them throughout the course of our careers, and if I'm really lucky, I'll have the opportunity to work with some of them again.

The other good news is that I have started work with a new company, this time in the mobile arena, which intrigues me with all the unexplored possibilities that it offers.  I hope to learn from this new team as I did the one at Rivet, and I can't wait to see where the industry goes in the coming years!

No comments:

Post a Comment